Sanford Grain Elevator

Sanford Grain Elevator 20141228 SLB-1

The Sanford grain elevator is located on the west side of town. It is a former Manitoba Pool, built in 1948 after the original Pool elevator (built in 1928) burned in September 1948.

Sanford is on the CEMR Carman subdivision and sees a few trains a week.

5311 Sanford 20150613 SLB-4

The elevator was purchased by a private farming corporation. It was refurbished in 2014, with a new roof, new siding at the top of the elevator.

Sanford Grain Elevator 20140502 SLB-22

Siding from the elevator was used to fix holes in the coverage on the rest of the elevator and annex.

Sanford Grain Elevator 20140828 SLB-1

The original elevator in Sanford was built by the Canadian Elevator Company in 1904, with a capacity of 35,000 bushels. It was taken over by the government’s Manitoba Grain Elevators Commission in 1910. It was leased to the Grain Growers Grain Company (soon to be UGG) in 1912 and purchased it in 1926.

Sanford elevator fire, 1948
Sanford elevator fire, 1948