The Russell grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator located on the Trans-Canada trail. This elevator has a capacity of 4,760 tonnes and is owned by Fairfield Land and Cattle.
Other grain elevators in Russell were:
- Northern, built 1902-1904 period; served by CP
- Imperial, built 1902-1904 period; served by CP; burned
- Farmers, built 1902, 40,000 bushels capacity; purchased by UGG in 1917; served by CP
- UGG, built 1965; served by CP
- Lake of the Woods; served by CP
- Western Canada Flour Mills Company, built 1908; purchased by Manitoba Pool in 1953 and had annex added; served by CN
Railways in Russell
At one time, the town of Russell was served by both CN and CP.
The CP Russell subdivision ran from Binscarth to Inglis, with Russell being roughly in the middle of the subdivision and crossing over the CN line.
The CN Rossburn subdivision ended very close to the grain elevator, where it joined with the CN Tonkin subdivision. Russell was a CN division point and had a station, roundhouse (destroyed by fire in 1928) and a water tank.
None of these rail lines exist any more.