The Solsgirth grain elevator is an ex Manitoba Pool, ex Cargill elevator located in the ghost town of Solsgirth, Manitoba.
The original Manitoba Pool grain elevator (the “B” elevator) was built in 1928 and renovated in 1985 to a capacity of 5,280 tonnes, apparently by adding bins. It was still present in 2000 but is no longer there.
The current elevator is the former “A” elevator with a capacity of 3,350 tonnes.
At one time there was a UGG grain elevator in Solsgirth as well.
The Ethelbert grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator. It is the last remaining elevator in the town, located north of the Riding Mountain National Park.
This elevator has a capacity of 4,550 tonnes and has a large attached annex.
CN built a water reservoir near Ethelbert in the early 1920s to supply water for its steam engines, since there was no sizeable body of water nearby. The reservoir is still visible to the southeast of the town.
Note that the elevator in the town of Ethelbert is the “B” elevator, implying that there was an “A” elevator. There is a wooden annex on private property north of town, possibly from that “A” elevator.
The Clanwilliam grain elevator is an ex Manitoba Pool elevator. This elevator was built in 1928 and renovated in 1982. Clanwilliam was mile 20.1 on the CN Rossburn subdivision.
This elevator appears to be unused. There is no power to the elevator structure any more and the cladding is in poor shape.
Prior to the Manitoba Pool grain elevator, there was a Western Canadian grain elevator in Clanwilliam in the early 1900s. Marius Pedersen was the agent during that time, according to “Forest to Field”.
The municipality of Clanwilliam has a population of approximately 400 people. Manitoba highway 262 bisects the town.
The small town of Sinclair in western Manitoba has one grain elevator. The Sinclair grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator, now presumably privately owned.
This elevator consists of a central elevator with an attached annex, and a covered driveway on the non-rail side. The elevator has a siding on the CP Arcola subdivision but it does not appear to use rail service. CP has applied to abandon this section of rail.
The elevator was listed in the Canadian Grain Commission’s directory until 2001 with a capacity of 4,240 tonnes.
The elevator may be in use for private grain storage.
There was at least one other elevator in Sinclair in the past. This photo shows what may be a Lake of the Woods grain elevator in 1909.
Sinclair is near the edge of the Bakken oil fields, and there are oil wells nearby.
There are three grain elevators in the vicinity of Elva, Manitoba. One of the three Elva grain elevators may be the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba.
Lake of the Woods
The Lake of the Woods grain elevator in Elva is quite possibly the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba. It is believed to have been built between 1892 and 1899, and is (barely) still standing.
This elevator was at least partially rebuilt around 1950, and was purchased by the Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1959 and closed in the late 1960s.
United Grain Growers (UGG)
The nearby UGG (United Grain Growers) elevator is also still standing, although there is a large hole in the side of the elevator. This elevator was built circa 1916.
The nearby high-throughput concrete grain elevator was opened in 2000 by Agricore. The grand opening ceremony was held on July 26, 2000. The elevator had a capacity of 14,500 tonnes and 60 car spots. The elevator was purchased by Cargill Limited on July 1, 2007.
The facility was expanded around 2014 to a total capacity of 24,500 tonnes.
The Reston grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator and annex, now privately owned. This elevator has a capacity of 4,130 tonnes and is located on the CP Arcola subdivision.
The elevator is owned by the Elliott Brothers.
Other grain elevators that were in Reston include:
Lake of the Woods, built 1893, burned in 1950, capacity 35,000 bushels
McCabe, built 1926, purchased by UGG in 1943, dismantled 1948
UGG, with a capacity of 2,700 tonnes. It apparently came down after the year 2000.
Another UGG elevator was demolished on March 19, 1992
The town of Reston also features one of the few railway roundhouses remaining in Manitoba. This roundhouse is now privately owned and is apparently used for storage.
Reston was one end of the CP Reston subdivision, which extended 122.4 miles west to Wolseley, Saskatchewan. This light branch line, consisting of a lot of 56 pound rail, was abandoned in 1961, not many decades after it first opened for service in late 1906. The Reston subdivision joined the Arcola subdivision just west of the grain elevator on a wye, and the roadbed is still visible from satellite images, heading northwest out of town.