There are two Pierson grain elevators. One was built by N.M. Paterson and the other was built by the Manitoba Pool Elevators. Both are now owned by Paterson and operated as a unit. Currently they are listed with a capacity of 8,025 tonnes.
The area around Pierson has a wide variety of birds for the avian enthusiast, including hawks, pheasants, grouse, and much more.
Paterson Grain Elevator
This elevator was built in 1965 to replace a former Consolidated (originally Dominion) elevator that was dismantled.
Former Pool Grain Elevator
The ex Manitoba Pool grain elevator was built in 1927 or 1928 and burned in 1939. It was rebuilt on the same location. Renovations were done in the 1970s to replace one annex, add another annex, renovate the office and add a new loading leg.
Pierson Grain Elevator History
By 1897 the town of Pierson had at least three grain elevators, as shown in the photo to the right.
The original Ogilvie elevator burnt in 1894 and was rebuilt. In 1900 there were four elevators: Gould and Elliott, Northern, Dominion and Ogilvie.
Many thanks to the Harvests of Time local history for the grain elevator history.
The Elgin grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator. It has a capacity of 5,150 tonnes and is privately owned by Dodds Farm, Ltd. This was the “B” elevator in Elgin.
Elgin was on the CN Hartney subdivision. By 1979 this was the end of the operated track, and in 1999 the track was sold to the Southern Manitoba Railway. That shortline operated it for several years until its abandonment and removal in 2006 or 2007.
The two McConnell grain elevators are two of the few buildings remaining in the ghost town of McConnell, Manitoba.
McConnell was on the CN Rapid City subdivision. This line was abandoned in 1978 and the last train passed through McConnell on December 16, 1978 with GMD1 CN 1027 as the lead locomotive.
These elevators are former Manitoba Pool grain elevators. There is an “A” and “B” elevator.
Pool “A” Elevator
The “A” elevator was built on or before 1928 and served the community for fifty years until it was closed on December 1, 1978.
This elevator was renovated in 1968 at a cost of $45,000. The elevator received a new driveway and office, and the elevator received a 40-ton platform scale and a high capacity grain cleaner.
This elevator appears to be in fair condition.
Pool “B” Elevator
The Manitoba Pool “B” grain elevator in McConnell appears to be in rough shape. The elevator no longer has a driveway and portions of the machinery appear to be exposed to the elements. The elevator is in a farmer’s pasture now.
It’s possible that the “B” elevator is a former Bawlf elevator.
The first two grain elevators in McConnell were privately built and sold to elevator companies. The first was built by J.H. McConnell and sold to the Canadian Elevator Company. The second was built by A.E. Arnold and sold to the Bawlf Company.
The Carberry grain elevator is a grain-handling facility operated by ADM, formerly known as Archers Daniel Midland. This facility consists of two large bins, elevating machinery, and a large loading/unloading building. It has a capacity of 15,000 tonnes of grain.
The Beulah grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator, built in 1922 and operated by the Pool until the mid 1970s when the CN Rapid City rail subdivision was abandoned.
This elevator was owned by a local farmer’s cooperative but it does not appear to have been used in the past few years.
The first official train on the Canadian Northern line from Hallboro to Beulah was on July 1, 1911. Beulah received passenger service by a mixed train until 1959, when the coach attached to the wayfeight was discontinued. From that time Beulah received rail service once a week.