There are three grain elevators in the vicinity of Elva, Manitoba. One of the three Elva grain elevators may be the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba.
Lake of the Woods
The Lake of the Woods grain elevator in Elva is quite possibly the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba. It is believed to have been built between 1892 and 1899, and is (barely) still standing.
This elevator was at least partially rebuilt around 1950, and was purchased by the Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1959 and closed in the late 1960s.
United Grain Growers (UGG)
The nearby UGG (United Grain Growers) elevator is also still standing, although there is a large hole in the side of the elevator. This elevator was built circa 1916.
The nearby high-throughput concrete grain elevator was opened in 2000 by Agricore. The grand opening ceremony was held on July 26, 2000. The elevator had a capacity of 14,500 tonnes and 60 car spots. The elevator was purchased by Cargill Limited on July 1, 2007.
The facility was expanded around 2014 to a total capacity of 24,500 tonnes.
The Medora grain elevator is a former UGG (United Grain Growers) elevator located in southwestern Manitoba. This elevator has a capacity of 10,000 tonnes of grain. It was expanded from 2,700 tonnes somewhere between 2002 and 2008.
Note the UGG logo on the wooden fertilizer elevator.
The original UGG elevator burned overnight between December 20 and 21, 1980. The elevator had a capacity of 130,000 bushels or about 3,500 tonnes of grain.
There are few grain elevators remaining that bear the blue UGG logo. The McCreary grain elevator is one of those few. This elevator towers above the town of McCreary, Manitoba and still proudly shows the logo and the blue roofs of the UGG.
This grain elevator has a capacity of 3,940 tonnes and was last listed in the Canadian Grain Commission’s list of active elevators in 2001. It is not clear whether this elevator is still used for private grain storage.
The elevator is beside an active rail line, the CN Gladstone subdivision, and the former CN station is preserved on the other side of the tracks as a museum.
The tiny community of Barnsley, Manitoba sits between Carman and Elm Creek. At one time, Barnsley was served by the Canadian Pacific Railway via its Carman subdivision (Barnsley was mile 6.0). The rail was taken up but the Barnsley grain elevators remained.
There are two elevators present today.
The first is the Manitoba Pool grain elevator #88. This elevator was not sheathed with tin like many other Pool elevators were, as both elevators in Barnsley were surplus to the Pool by the early 1970s. They were sold to a private farmer, who resold them to another local farmer.
United Grain Growers
The second is the United Grain Growers (UGG) elevator, which appears to be in worse shape. It was built by the Manitoba government in 1916 and leased to the Grain Growers’ Grain Company / UGG until 1926 when UGG purchased it. The Manitoba Pool took it over in March 1960 and labeled it as “Pool B”.
It’s nice to see these elevators apparently still in use.