The sole remaining Arborg grain elevator is a Paterson elevator. This elevator is still in operation by Paterson in August 2014. It was built in 1967.
Arborg used to be part of the CP Arborg subdivision until that was cut back to near Stony Mountain. The track used to go north through the town to a few hundred feet past the Paterson elevator.
Other Elevators in Arborg
The first grain elevator in Arborg was the Liberty elevator, built in 1922. A Federal elevator was built after that.
The first Manitoba Pool elevator was built in 1940. The local elevator association applied for membership in the Manitoba Pool in 1939. In a departure from previous practice, the Pool required the association to commit some of their own funds toward the construction of the elevator, and the association pledged $6,000 and supplied some of the lumber for the elevator.
The Pool built a second grain elevator in 1948. The Pool bought the Federal elevator in 1972, which presumably became the “C” elevator.
The last Manitoba Pool grain elevator in Arborg (Pool “D”) was built in 1982 or 1983. It was demolished in April 2009 despite a concerted effort by local farmers to save it.
There is one grain elevator in La Salle, Manitoba, owned by Paterson Grain. The elevator is located on the CP La Riviere subdivision. It was listed in CP’s Canadian Grain Elevator and Terminal Directory as having a capacity of 4,150 metric tonnes.
The following elevators were built in La Salle*:
A private elevator, built by Moise Cormier in 1902 or 1904, sold to N.M. Paterson in 1915
Imperial Elevator, burned in 1908
Ogilvie Flour Mills Elevator, moved to Dominion City in 1911
N.M. Paterson elevator, built in 1938, expanded in 1940, 1955, 1964 and 1983. The 1983 expansion included adding two steel bins and a dust collection system.
* from “Then to Now – The History of La Salle, Manitoba”.
There is a lovely woodcut by Walter Joseph Phillips depicting one of La Salle’s grain elevators.