The Marquette grain elevator was a wooden grain elevator on the Canadian Pacific Railway main line (CP Carberry subdivision). The elevator was owned by N.M. Paterson and was demolished in September 2013.
The elevator consisted of a central wooden elevator (with driveway) and two large steel bins. It only had a capacity of 1,970 tonnes, quite small for modern elevators. It was built in 1920. There was a second elevator, built in 1941 and sold in 1974.
Its small size no doubt contributed to the decision to demolish the elevator.
There are two Pierson grain elevators. One was built by N.M. Paterson and the other was built by the Manitoba Pool Elevators. Both are now owned by Paterson and operated as a unit. Currently they are listed with a capacity of 8,025 tonnes.
The area around Pierson has a wide variety of birds for the avian enthusiast, including hawks, pheasants, grouse, and much more.
Paterson Grain Elevator
This elevator was built in 1965 to replace a former Consolidated (originally Dominion) elevator that was dismantled.
Former Pool Grain Elevator
The ex Manitoba Pool grain elevator was built in 1927 or 1928 and burned in 1939. It was rebuilt on the same location. Renovations were done in the 1970s to replace one annex, add another annex, renovate the office and add a new loading leg.
Pierson Grain Elevator History
By 1897 the town of Pierson had at least three grain elevators, as shown in the photo to the right.
The original Ogilvie elevator burnt in 1894 and was rebuilt. In 1900 there were four elevators: Gould and Elliott, Northern, Dominion and Ogilvie.
Many thanks to the Harvests of Time local history for the grain elevator history.
Until recently there were two Minto grain elevators. The town featured a Paterson grain elevator and an ex Manitoba Pool grain elevator. However, high winds in July 2014 severely damaged one of the elevators.
The other elevator remained in operation for a while but on February 15, 2015 the ex Manitoba Pool elevator was demolished, followed quickly by the other elevator and the annexes (Matt Tolton photo).
The damaged elevator had a capacity of 4,840 tonnes.
Minto was served by the CN Hartney subdivision until its abandonment around 2007. The town of Minto was originally also served by the Great Northern Railway from 1906 to 1937.
There are two Binscarth grain elevators, one owned by Viterra and one owned by Paterson. There is also a grain handling facility, Marquette Grain, which is not in an elevator.
There was a Manitoba Pool grain elevator in Binscarth (capacity 2,460 tonnes) until about 1999, and a UGG grain elevator as well.
Viterra Grain Elevator
The Viterra grain elevator is located at the end of a rail spur north of Binscarth. This is the remnant of the CP Russell subdivision.
The elevator is a steel elevator with attached bins, with a total capacity of 8,500 tonnes.
Paterson Grain Elevator
The Paterson grain elevator in Binscarth is on the CP Bredenbury subdivision. It has a capacity of 21,060 tonnes of grain. This large inland terminal was completed around 1995 and rendered obsolete the Paterson elevators in Inglis.
There is a small grain handling facility on the CP main line, Marquette Grain, which apparently loads producer cars.
The Meadows grain elevator is a Paterson wooden elevator located on the CP main line (CP Carberry subdivision) between Winnipeg and Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.
This grain elevator was owned by Paterson Grain, a division of Paterson GlobalFoods Inc., but it is not listed in the 2014-2015 “Grain Elevators in Canada” publication by the Canadian Grain Commission. It has a capacity of 3,430 tonnes between the elevator and its annex. It had a listed capacity of 3,930 prior to 2001, when it still had a low grain warehouse beside the annex.
It appears that this elevator was constructed in 1947.
There are three grain elevators in the town of Morris, Manitoba – two owned by Paterson and one by Cargill.
N.M. Paterson has two grain elevators in Morris. The oldest Paterson elevator in Morris is this wooden grain elevator, located on the CN Letellier subdivision.
This elevator has a capacity of 4,080 tonnes. It is unclear whether it is still used for storage.
Paterson has a modern high-efficiency elevator at the south end of the town. This concrete elevator has a number of bins and several tracks. This elevator had a capacity of 8,800 tonnes in 2000, expanded to 22,000 tonnes in 2002, 26,000 tonnes in 2004, and finally to its current capacity of 42,000 tonnes in 2009. This elevator is served by both CN and CP.
The third of the Morris grain elevators is the newly-expanded Cargill high-throughput elevator.
Prior to 2002, Cargill had two grain elevators in Morris with a combined capacity of 10,400 tonnes. Cargill demolished one elevator and built the current high throughput (HTP) elevator in 2002-2003. It had a capacity of 10,200 tonnes at the time of construction, in addition to the 5,600 tonnes of the existing “B” elevator.
In 2014 Cargill expanded the HTP elevator to a capacity of approximately 30,000 tonnes, and expanded the rail car storage to 100 cars and added a dedicated locomotive for plant switching. The older “B” elevator was demolished.
Cargill also added its own track alongside the CN Miami spur, presumably for plant switching.
The Cargill elevator and one of the Paterson elevators are served by both CN and CP (the CP La Riviere subdivision) in a fairly unique track arrangement. This diagram from Confessions of a Train Geek shows the connections.
Note that the older Cargill elevator is still shown on this diagram.
There is one grain elevator remaining in Kane, Manitoba. It is a former N.M. Paterson grain elevator.
The first Kane grain elevator was built in 1918 by the Interior Elevator Company, which became part of N.M. Paterson in 1920. This elevator burned down in 1947 and a new one was constructed on the same site in the same year. That elevator is the bare wooden portion of the current elevator.
The second Kane grain elevator was built by the Canadian Consolidated Grain Company in 1919 or 1920, and it was later acquired by UGG. It had two annexes at one point. It was demolished on August 9th, 1996.
The newer portion of the Kane grain elevator was the second-last wooden grain elevator to be built in Manitoba, in 1981.
There is one grain elevator in Culross, Manitoba, a Paterson Grain elevator. The elevator is fairly unusual in that it has no annex, giving it a limited capacity of 2,850 tonnes. The Culross grain elevator stands beside the CP track and near the few houses remaining in Culross.
This elevator was built in 1982 and one of the last wooden elevators built in Manitoba. Later grain elevators have been of concrete construction.
At one point there was another Paterson elevator in Culross, with an annex. It was built in 1920 using material from Stoughton. It was demolished.