There are two Pierson grain elevators. One was built by N.M. Paterson and the other was built by the Manitoba Pool Elevators. Both are now owned by Paterson and operated as a unit. Currently they are listed with a capacity of 8,025 tonnes.
The area around Pierson has a wide variety of birds for the avian enthusiast, including hawks, pheasants, grouse, and much more.
Paterson Grain Elevator
This elevator was built in 1965 to replace a former Consolidated (originally Dominion) elevator that was dismantled.
Former Pool Grain Elevator
The ex Manitoba Pool grain elevator was built in 1927 or 1928 and burned in 1939. It was rebuilt on the same location. Renovations were done in the 1970s to replace one annex, add another annex, renovate the office and add a new loading leg.
Pierson Grain Elevator History
By 1897 the town of Pierson had at least three grain elevators, as shown in the photo to the right.
The original Ogilvie elevator burnt in 1894 and was rebuilt. In 1900 there were four elevators: Gould and Elliott, Northern, Dominion and Ogilvie.
Many thanks to the Harvests of Time local history for the grain elevator history.
The tiny community of Kaleida, Manitoba has one grain elevator, the former Manitoba Pool “B” elevator.
The Kaleida Farmers Elevator Association was formed in 1905 and George Ullyot built the Kaleida grain elevator. In 1907 it was purchased by Ogilvie Flour Mills.
It became the Manitoba Pool “B” elevator at some point. The elevator shipped its last load of grain on August 1,1963.
The Kaleida grain elevator was served by the CP Kaleida subdivision. The track reached Kaleida in 1904. The track was removed in October 1963.
There was a second Kaleida grain elevator, built in 1908 or 1909. It was sold to the Manitoba Pool in 1926 and apparently torn down and replaced by a new elevator in 1927. This elevator was moved to Manitou on November 18, 1965 and it is still in operation.
Many thanks to the book Kaleidoscope 1878-1986: Kaleida, Overdale, Riverdale and Pembina Crossing, Manitoba, published by the Kaleida Historical Book Society, where most of the facts for this article came from.