The Beulah grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator, built in 1922 and operated by the Pool until the mid 1970s when the CN Rapid City rail subdivision was abandoned.
This elevator was owned by a local farmer’s cooperative but it does not appear to have been used in the past few years.
The first official train on the Canadian Northern line from Hallboro to Beulah was on July 1, 1911. Beulah received passenger service by a mixed train until 1959, when the coach attached to the wayfeight was discontinued. From that time Beulah received rail service once a week.
The Birtle grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator and annex, now privately owned. This facility is located on the CP Bredenbury subdivision and has rail service. The elevator and annex have a capacity of 3,140 tonnes of grain.
This facility is owned by Pawluk Ag Ventures Ltd. and performs grain storage and cleaning.
The town of Birtle is part of the Prairie View municipality, which contains several museums, a campground, a pair of golf courses, and other attractions.
The Russell grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator located on the Trans-Canada trail. This elevator has a capacity of 4,760 tonnes and is owned by Fairfield Land and Cattle.
Other grain elevators in Russell were:
Northern, built 1902-1904 period; served by CP
Imperial, built 1902-1904 period; served by CP; burned
Farmers, built 1902, 40,000 bushels capacity; purchased by UGG in 1917; served by CP
UGG, built 1965; served by CP
Lake of the Woods; served by CP
Western Canada Flour Mills Company, built 1908; purchased by Manitoba Pool in 1953 and had annex added; served by CN
Railways in Russell
At one time, the town of Russell was served by both CN and CP.
The CP Russell subdivision ran from Binscarth to Inglis, with Russell being roughly in the middle of the subdivision and crossing over the CN line.
The CN Rossburn subdivision ended very close to the grain elevator, where it joined with the CN Tonkin subdivision. Russell was a CN division point and had a station, roundhouse (destroyed by fire in 1928) and a water tank.
The Ethelbert grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator. It is the last remaining elevator in the town, located north of the Riding Mountain National Park.
This elevator has a capacity of 4,550 tonnes and has a large attached annex.
CN built a water reservoir near Ethelbert in the early 1920s to supply water for its steam engines, since there was no sizeable body of water nearby. The reservoir is still visible to the southeast of the town.
Note that the elevator in the town of Ethelbert is the “B” elevator, implying that there was an “A” elevator. There is a wooden annex on private property north of town, possibly from that “A” elevator.
The small town of Sinclair in western Manitoba has one grain elevator. The Sinclair grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator, now presumably privately owned.
This elevator consists of a central elevator with an attached annex, and a covered driveway on the non-rail side. The elevator has a siding on the CP Arcola subdivision but it does not appear to use rail service. CP has applied to abandon this section of rail.
The elevator was listed in the Canadian Grain Commission’s directory until 2001 with a capacity of 4,240 tonnes.
The elevator may be in use for private grain storage.
There was at least one other elevator in Sinclair in the past. This photo shows what may be a Lake of the Woods grain elevator in 1909.
Sinclair is near the edge of the Bakken oil fields, and there are oil wells nearby.