The St. Jean Baptiste grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator. The town of St. Jean Baptiste is off highway 75, south of Winnipeg and between Morris and Emerson.
The annex has the traditional Manitoba Pool co-operative text on it, except that it is in French. “Association Co-Operative D’Elevateur St. Jean Baptiste / Succursale No. 213 / Service au Prix Outant” [Service at Cost]
The Alexander grain elevator is currently owned by G3 Canada Limited. This elevator was a Manitoba Pool elevator, likely built in the early 1980s. It has a capacity of 5,800 tonnes in the central elevator, annex and attached bins.
This elevator was operated by Mission Terminal Inc., which became owned by the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB) prior to its acquisition/renaming to G3.
The main Elie grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator, located just west of the town of Elie. There are two smaller grain elevators in the vicinity.
This elevator was built in 1986, one of the last wooden grain elevators built in Manitoba. It has a capacity of 3,750 tonnes. It became owned by Agricore after the merger of Manitoba Pool and the Alberta Pool, and was closed in 2002. It was purchased by several local farmers.
The first Manitoba Pool elevator was built in 1928. It received an annex in 1957 to have a total capacity of 1,957 tonnes. It was renovated in 1969 and again in the mid 1970s. This became the “A” elevator when the current elevator was built and presumably it was demolished soon after.
Other Area Elevators
There is a small elevator in Benard, about five kilometres “railway” west of Elie.
There is another small elevator near Elie, at the Huron Colony Farms, a Hutterite colony. This is located north of the Trans-Canada Highway, about 7.8 km northwest of the ex Manitoba Pool grain elevator.
There was a United Grain Growers elevator in Elie. This was the first elevator in Elie, built sometime before 1912 by the Canadian Elevator Company. Canadian Consolidated Grain took over the elevator after 1929, and it became a UGG elevator after UGG bought CCG in 1959. It was renovated in 1967 with a new driveway, scale, hoist, leg and office. The date of its demolition is not known.
Railways of Elie
The first railway through Elie was the Northern Pacific and Manitoba, jointly built by the Manitoba government and the US Northern Pacific railway. It was leased to the Canadian Northern around the turn of the century.
The competitor to the Canadian Northern, the Grand Trunk Pacific, built a parallel line a half mile north and their station stop was known as North Elie.
After both the Grand Trunk Pacific and the Canadian Northern experienced financial difficulties, they were acquired by the federal government and became part of the Canadian National Railways (CNR). Over time the northern route, the ex Grand Trunk Pacific line, was abandoned in stages and the Trans-Canada Highway was built over much of it.
The Canadian Northern line is now the two-track CN main line through Manitoba, known as the CN Rivers subdivision between Winnipeg and Melville, SK.
Elie was the site of Canada’s first recorded F5 strength tornado, on June 22 2007. Read more!
Acknowledgements and thanks to the authors of “Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier” for many of the dates and photos.
The Lyleton grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator with attached annex. The elevator has seen better days, with the cupola having a bit of a lean to it. The annex appears to be from a different elevator, or at least it has received a metal cladding whereas the original elevator has not.
At one time there was a Paterson grain elevator (built in 1926) next to this one, but it was demolished around 2008.
Lyleton was at the end of the CP Lyleton subdivision, and had rail service from 1903 until the rails were removed in the late 1970s.
The Hartney grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator, built in the late 1970s. This elevator had a listed capacity of 3,320 tonnes when it was last listed in the Canadian Grain Commission listings in 2001.
The traditional wooden elevator has a relatively modern annex attached, as well as two steel bins.
There are two Pierson grain elevators. One was built by N.M. Paterson and the other was built by the Manitoba Pool Elevators. Both are now owned by Paterson and operated as a unit. Currently they are listed with a capacity of 8,025 tonnes.
The area around Pierson has a wide variety of birds for the avian enthusiast, including hawks, pheasants, grouse, and much more.
Paterson Grain Elevator
This elevator was built in 1965 to replace a former Consolidated (originally Dominion) elevator that was dismantled.
Former Pool Grain Elevator
The ex Manitoba Pool grain elevator was built in 1927 or 1928 and burned in 1939. It was rebuilt on the same location. Renovations were done in the 1970s to replace one annex, add another annex, renovate the office and add a new loading leg.
Pierson Grain Elevator History
By 1897 the town of Pierson had at least three grain elevators, as shown in the photo to the right.
The original Ogilvie elevator burnt in 1894 and was rebuilt. In 1900 there were four elevators: Gould and Elliott, Northern, Dominion and Ogilvie.
Many thanks to the Harvests of Time local history for the grain elevator history.
The Elgin grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator. It has a capacity of 5,150 tonnes and is privately owned by Dodds Farm, Ltd. This was the “B” elevator in Elgin.
Elgin was on the CN Hartney subdivision. By 1979 this was the end of the operated track, and in 1999 the track was sold to the Southern Manitoba Railway. That shortline operated it for several years until its abandonment and removal in 2006 or 2007.
The two McConnell grain elevators are two of the few buildings remaining in the ghost town of McConnell, Manitoba.
McConnell was on the CN Rapid City subdivision. This line was abandoned in 1978 and the last train passed through McConnell on December 16, 1978 with GMD1 CN 1027 as the lead locomotive.
These elevators are former Manitoba Pool grain elevators. There is an “A” and “B” elevator.
Pool “A” Elevator
The “A” elevator was built on or before 1928 and served the community for fifty years until it was closed on December 1, 1978.
This elevator was renovated in 1968 at a cost of $45,000. The elevator received a new driveway and office, and the elevator received a 40-ton platform scale and a high capacity grain cleaner.
This elevator appears to be in fair condition.
Pool “B” Elevator
The Manitoba Pool “B” grain elevator in McConnell appears to be in rough shape. The elevator no longer has a driveway and portions of the machinery appear to be exposed to the elements. The elevator is in a farmer’s pasture now.
It’s possible that the “B” elevator is a former Bawlf elevator.
The first two grain elevators in McConnell were privately built and sold to elevator companies. The first was built by J.H. McConnell and sold to the Canadian Elevator Company. The second was built by A.E. Arnold and sold to the Bawlf Company.