This page has moved to the grainelevators.ca site.
The Cameron grain elevator is a former Lake of the Woods elevator that became privately owned. It appears to be abandoned now.
This elevator was built sometime between 1902 and 1910 by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company. It shows that company’s name on one side and Five Roses Flour on another. The Five Roses brand was a Lake of the Woods brand, carried on by Ogilvie Milling when the companies merged in 1954. Today the Five Roses brand endures and is owned by Smuckers.
The elevator sits alone in the middle of fields, with a relatively new shale oil well nearby as its only company.
The elevator was bought by Manitoba Pool in 1959 and was closed in the late 1960s with the decline of the CPR Lyleton subdivision.
The elevator has an extended driveway (with no doors), a small office adjacent to the elevator, and no annexes or storage bins.
The condition of the elevator suggests it is no longer in use.
There are three grain elevators in the vicinity of Elva, Manitoba. One of the three Elva grain elevators may be the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba.
Lake of the Woods
The Lake of the Woods grain elevator in Elva is quite possibly the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba. It is believed to have been built between 1892 and 1899, and is (barely) still standing.
This elevator was at least partially rebuilt around 1950, and was purchased by the Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1959 and closed in the late 1960s.
United Grain Growers (UGG)
The nearby UGG (United Grain Growers) elevator is also still standing, although there is a large hole in the side of the elevator. This elevator was built circa 1916.
The nearby high-throughput concrete grain elevator was opened in 2000 by Agricore. The grand opening ceremony was held on July 26, 2000. The elevator had a capacity of 14,500 tonnes and 60 car spots. The elevator was purchased by Cargill Limited on July 1, 2007.
The facility was expanded around 2014 to a total capacity of 24,500 tonnes.
This elevator is served by the CP Estevan subdivision.
Other Elva Grain Elevators
- Dominion Elevator Company, purchased by Manitoba Elevator Commission in 1910, demolished 1916
- Western Elevator Company, purchased by Manitoba Elevator Commission in 1910, demolished 1916
The Reston grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator and annex, now privately owned. This elevator has a capacity of 4,130 tonnes and is located on the CP Arcola subdivision.
The elevator is owned by the Elliott Brothers.
Other grain elevators that were in Reston include:
- Lake of the Woods, built 1893, burned in 1950, capacity 35,000 bushels
- McCabe, built 1926, purchased by UGG in 1943, dismantled 1948
- UGG, with a capacity of 2,700 tonnes. It apparently came down after the year 2000.
- Another UGG elevator was demolished on March 19, 1992
The town of Reston also features one of the few railway roundhouses remaining in Manitoba. This roundhouse is now privately owned and is apparently used for storage.
Reston was one end of the CP Reston subdivision, which extended 122.4 miles west to Wolseley, Saskatchewan. This light branch line, consisting of a lot of 56 pound rail, was abandoned in 1961, not many decades after it first opened for service in late 1906. The Reston subdivision joined the Arcola subdivision just west of the grain elevator on a wye, and the roadbed is still visible from satellite images, heading northwest out of town.
The town of Tyndall, Manitoba has a single grain elevator. This elevator was built in the early 1950s to replace the original Tyndall grain elevator, built by the Lake of the Woods in 1920. In 1960 an annex was added and it became a Manitoba Pool elevator. It became privately owned in 1971.
The grain elevator has a balloon annex on one side and an office on the other side.
The town of Tilston, Manitoba has two grain elevators. One is an original Manitoba Pool grain elevator and the other was originally a Lake of the Woods grain elevator that was acquired by the Pool.
The Manitoba Pool elevator was built by the cooperative #61 in the late 1920s.
The Lake of the Woods elevator has FIVE ROSES FLOUR on the side, a brand of the former Lake of the Woods company.
It’s not clear if either of the two Tilston grain elevators are still in use.
The town was served by Canadian Pacific until 1976, when a bridge near Lauder was washed out. In 2015 two tornadoes were reported in the Tilston area.
For more information, please visit this post on the Traingeek blog.