This page has moved to http://www.grainelevators.ca/manitoba/oakner/
The Solsgirth grain elevator is an ex Manitoba Pool, ex Cargill elevator located in the ghost town of Solsgirth, Manitoba.
The original Manitoba Pool grain elevator (the “B” elevator) was built in 1928 and renovated in 1985 to a capacity of 5,280 tonnes, apparently by adding bins. It was still present in 2000 but is no longer there.
The current elevator is the former “A” elevator with a capacity of 3,350 tonnes.
At one time there was a UGG grain elevator in Solsgirth as well.
Solsgirth is on the CP Bredenbury subdivision and has a railway siding.
Solsgirth has a pair of old churches, the Ukrainian Church of the Holy Spirit and the St. Stephen Anglican Church.
There are three grain elevators in the vicinity of Elva, Manitoba. One of the three Elva grain elevators may be the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba.
Lake of the Woods
The Lake of the Woods grain elevator in Elva is quite possibly the oldest grain elevator in Manitoba. It is believed to have been built between 1892 and 1899, and is (barely) still standing.
This elevator was at least partially rebuilt around 1950, and was purchased by the Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1959 and closed in the late 1960s.
United Grain Growers (UGG)
The nearby UGG (United Grain Growers) elevator is also still standing, although there is a large hole in the side of the elevator. This elevator was built circa 1916.
The nearby high-throughput concrete grain elevator was opened in 2000 by Agricore. The grand opening ceremony was held on July 26, 2000. The elevator had a capacity of 14,500 tonnes and 60 car spots. The elevator was purchased by Cargill Limited on July 1, 2007.
The facility was expanded around 2014 to a total capacity of 24,500 tonnes.
This elevator is served by the CP Estevan subdivision.
Other Elva Grain Elevators
- Dominion Elevator Company, purchased by Manitoba Elevator Commission in 1910, demolished 1916
- Western Elevator Company, purchased by Manitoba Elevator Commission in 1910, demolished 1916
There are three grain elevators in the town of Morris, Manitoba – two owned by Paterson and one by Cargill.
N.M. Paterson has two grain elevators in Morris. The oldest Paterson elevator in Morris is this wooden grain elevator, located on the CN Letellier subdivision.
This elevator has a capacity of 4,080 tonnes. It is unclear whether it is still used for storage.
Paterson has a modern high-efficiency elevator at the south end of the town. This concrete elevator has a number of bins and several tracks. This elevator had a capacity of 8,800 tonnes in 2000, expanded to 22,000 tonnes in 2002, 26,000 tonnes in 2004, and finally to its current capacity of 42,000 tonnes in 2009. This elevator is served by both CN and CP.
The third of the Morris grain elevators is the newly-expanded Cargill high-throughput elevator.
Prior to 2002, Cargill had two grain elevators in Morris with a combined capacity of 10,400 tonnes. Cargill demolished one elevator and built the current high throughput (HTP) elevator in 2002-2003. It had a capacity of 10,200 tonnes at the time of construction, in addition to the 5,600 tonnes of the existing “B” elevator.
In 2014 Cargill expanded the HTP elevator to a capacity of approximately 30,000 tonnes, and expanded the rail car storage to 100 cars and added a dedicated locomotive for plant switching. The older “B” elevator was demolished.
Cargill also added its own track alongside the CN Miami spur, presumably for plant switching.
The Cargill elevator and one of the Paterson elevators are served by both CN and CP (the CP La Riviere subdivision) in a fairly unique track arrangement. This diagram from Confessions of a Train Geek shows the connections.
Note that the older Cargill elevator is still shown on this diagram.
For further reading:
Until late 2015 there were two Swan River grain elevators, both owned by Cargill.
Swan River A
The Swan River “A” grain elevator was located just north of the town of Swan River, Manitoba. The elevator was relatively modern and had three bins for additional storage, for a total capacity of 5,680 tonnes.
Swan River B
The Swan River “B” grain elevator was located in the middle of the town of Swan River, Manitoba. This Cargill grain elevator consisted of an elevator, a small annex and two concrete silos. It had a total capacity of 5,600 tonnes.
The “B” elevator was demolished in mid October 2015. Video by kcpenner
As of late 2015 there is one Dauphin grain elevator, a Cargill facility.
Richardson is building a new grain elevator in Dauphin to replace a former Manitoba Pool elevator (“Dauphin A”) they purchased in 2007 and demolished in early 2015. The concrete pour started in October 2015 and the elevator is expected to complete by August 2016. The new elevator will have a capacity of 25,000 tonnes and the ability to spot 104 cars.
There is a small farm grain elevator just outside Dauphin.
There are two grain elevators in or near Nesbitt. The first Nesbitt grain elevator is the former Manitoba Pool elevator just east of town, and the other is a newer Cargill facility west of town at Page.
The Cargill facility is served by CP Rail on the CP Glenboro subdivision. It was owned by ConAgra Limited (and later Pioneer), and expanded from 14,510 to 17,700 tonnes between 2000 and 2001.
Nesbitt had a UGG elevator closer to town at one point but it was demolished sometime after 1989.
The town of Elm Creek currently hosts two grain elevators, one owned by Cargill and one privately owned. The concrete Cargill elevator is on the CP Glenboro subdivision.
The former Pool elevator is on a wye off the Glenboro subdivision, on what used to be the CP Carman subdivision.