This page has moved to http://www.grainelevators.ca/manitoba/oakner/
The two McConnell grain elevators are two of the few buildings remaining in the ghost town of McConnell, Manitoba.
McConnell was on the CN Rapid City subdivision. This line was abandoned in 1978 and the last train passed through McConnell on December 16, 1978 with GMD1 CN 1027 as the lead locomotive.
These elevators are former Manitoba Pool grain elevators. There is an “A” and “B” elevator.
Pool “A” Elevator
The “A” elevator was built on or before 1928 and served the community for fifty years until it was closed on December 1, 1978.
This elevator was renovated in 1968 at a cost of $45,000. The elevator received a new driveway and office, and the elevator received a 40-ton platform scale and a high capacity grain cleaner.
This elevator appears to be in fair condition.
Pool “B” Elevator
The Manitoba Pool “B” grain elevator in McConnell appears to be in rough shape. The elevator no longer has a driveway and portions of the machinery appear to be exposed to the elements. The elevator is in a farmer’s pasture now.
It’s possible that the “B” elevator is a former Bawlf elevator.
The first two grain elevators in McConnell were privately built and sold to elevator companies. The first was built by J.H. McConnell and sold to the Canadian Elevator Company. The second was built by A.E. Arnold and sold to the Bawlf Company.
- McConnell: Little Town Lost
- Manitoba Historical Society page on McConnell
The Carberry grain elevator is a grain-handling facility operated by ADM, formerly known as Archers Daniel Midland. This facility consists of two large bins, elevating machinery, and a large loading/unloading building. It has a capacity of 15,000 tonnes of grain.
The elevator is served by Canadian Pacific from its CP Carberry subdivision.
ADM has its own locomotive, ADM 7560 (an EMD GP10), on site for switching grain cars.
Until recently there was a unique farm grain elevator near Carberry but it was demolished in 2014.
The Beulah grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator, built in 1922 and operated by the Pool until the mid 1970s when the CN Rapid City rail subdivision was abandoned.
This elevator was owned by a local farmer’s cooperative but it does not appear to have been used in the past few years.
The first official train on the Canadian Northern line from Hallboro to Beulah was on July 1, 1911. Beulah received passenger service by a mixed train until 1959, when the coach attached to the wayfeight was discontinued. From that time Beulah received rail service once a week.
The Birtle grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator and annex, now privately owned. This facility is located on the CP Bredenbury subdivision and has rail service. The elevator and annex have a capacity of 3,140 tonnes of grain.
This facility is owned by Pawluk Ag Ventures Ltd. and performs grain storage and cleaning.
The town of Birtle is part of the Prairie View municipality, which contains several museums, a campground, a pair of golf courses, and other attractions.
There are two Binscarth grain elevators, one owned by Viterra and one owned by Paterson. There is also a grain handling facility, Marquette Grain, which is not in an elevator.
There was a Manitoba Pool grain elevator in Binscarth (capacity 2,460 tonnes) until about 1999, and a UGG grain elevator as well.
Viterra Grain Elevator
The Viterra grain elevator is located at the end of a rail spur north of Binscarth. This is the remnant of the CP Russell subdivision.
The elevator is a steel elevator with attached bins, with a total capacity of 8,500 tonnes.
Paterson Grain Elevator
The Paterson grain elevator in Binscarth is on the CP Bredenbury subdivision. It has a capacity of 21,060 tonnes of grain. This large inland terminal was completed around 1995 and rendered obsolete the Paterson elevators in Inglis.
There is a small grain handling facility on the CP main line, Marquette Grain, which apparently loads producer cars.
The Russell grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator located on the Trans-Canada trail. This elevator has a capacity of 4,760 tonnes and is owned by Fairfield Land and Cattle.
Other grain elevators in Russell were:
- Northern, built 1902-1904 period; served by CP
- Imperial, built 1902-1904 period; served by CP; burned
- Farmers, built 1902, 40,000 bushels capacity; purchased by UGG in 1917; served by CP
- UGG, built 1965; served by CP
- Lake of the Woods; served by CP
- Western Canada Flour Mills Company, built 1908; purchased by Manitoba Pool in 1953 and had annex added; served by CN
Railways in Russell
At one time, the town of Russell was served by both CN and CP.
The CP Russell subdivision ran from Binscarth to Inglis, with Russell being roughly in the middle of the subdivision and crossing over the CN line.
The CN Rossburn subdivision ended very close to the grain elevator, where it joined with the CN Tonkin subdivision. Russell was a CN division point and had a station, roundhouse (destroyed by fire in 1928) and a water tank.
None of these rail lines exist any more.
There are two Silverton grain elevators – the ex UGG grain elevator in town and an elevator located on a nearby farm.
UGG Elevator in Silverton
The former UGG grain elevator in Silverton still bears strong United Grain Growers logos on both the elevator and attached annex.
This elevator was apparently built in 1917. It was moved to the site of the old British America elevator, remodeled, and had a large annex added in 1963.
The cupola of the grain elevator has a very interesting checkerboard pattern that is not evident on any other Manitoba grain elevator.
The elevator appears to be well maintained, with a recently-replaced roof.
Privately Owned Silverton Elevator
There is a small elevator located on a farm on the outskirts of Silverton. No details are available on this elevator.
Previous Silverton Grain Elevators
The first two grain elevators in Silverton were built in 1908, when the railway came to town. One was built by the Matheson Elevator Company and the other by the British America Elevator Company.
A Bawlf elevator followed in 1916. This was taken over by the Alberta Pacific in 1941, then by Federal Grain Company in 1943, which became part of Manitoba Pool.
This page has been moved to grainelevators.ca/manitoba/angusville.
The Oakburn grain elevator stands at the north end of the town. It has a large wooden annex and is an ex Manitoba Pool Elevator structure.
The first grain elevator in Oakburn was a Western Canada Flour Mills elevator, built in or before 1915.
Oakburn also had a Federal grain elevator and a UGG elevator.
Oakburn’s Manitoba Pool grain elevator was built in 1933. Its annex was added in 1949 and the elevator received a major overhaul in 1967. The elevator that remains in Oakburn is not that elevator.
Oakburn used to be on the CN Rossburn subdivision. It no longer has any rail service since the CN line was removed in the late 1990s.