The town of Waskada, Manitoba has a single grain elevator. The Waskada grain elevator is a former Agricore structure.
Waskada used to be on the CP Lyleton subdivision. This was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) at the turn of the 20th century and was completed in 1900 to Waskada with the first scheduled train arriving on New Year’s Day, 1900. It was extended to Lyleton by 1903. The rails were lifted by 1996.
Waskada had three elevators until the late 1990s, as seen in this Bruce Selyem photo. It’s not clear if the Waskada grain elevator is still in use.
Waskada has seen major growth due to the development of the nearby Bakken shale oil fields. At one time it was the smallest incorporated village in Manitoba.
There is one grain elevator in Cartwright, Manitoba – a former Manitoba Pool elevator. It is now privately owned.
Cartwright was served by the CP Napinka subdivision, but lost its rail service when that subdivision was cut back to near Killarney. Cartwright was originally about 2 miles north of where it is today, but when the CPR built the railway south of the town in 1885, the town was moved.
The Cartwright grain elevator sits in the middle of town and appears to be well maintained.
The former Pool elevator no longer has rail service.
Just east of the former Pool elevator is a modern Viterra grain elevator at “Souris East”.
The town of Souris used to have a train station, and a roundhouse for servicing locomotives. Both were located near the former Manitoba Pool elevator. The Canadian Pacific Railway operates a maintenance base in this area.
Souris is well known for its swinging bridge, Canada’s longest historic suspension bridge. Souris has a railway museum located in an old railway car on “Tourism Row”, featuring a diesel locomotive simulator, a telegraph, and other railway artifacts.
There are two grain elevators in or near Nesbitt. The first Nesbitt grain elevator is the former Manitoba Pool elevator just east of town, and the other is a newer Cargill facility west of town at Page.
The Cargill facility is served by CP Rail on the CP Glenboro subdivision. It was owned by ConAgra Limited (and later Pioneer), and expanded from 14,510 to 17,700 tonnes between 2000 and 2001.
The former Manitoba Pool Nesbitt grain elevator was moved from Routhwaite in 1984. It has a capacity of 4,890 tonnes.
Nesbitt had a UGG elevator closer to town at one point but it was demolished sometime after 1989.
Mariapolis, Manitoba has a single grain elevator, located just outside of town. This elevator has a capacity of 3,780 tonnes and is owned by the Canada Malting Company Ltd, who acquired it in August 2006. It was built by the United Grain Growers (UGG) and opened in 1986. It was owned by Delmar Commodities for a period of time before Canada Malting took it over.
The community of Lowe Farm, Manitoba has a single grain elevator, a former Manitoba Pool structure. The Lowe Farm grain elevator was built in 1937 (at a cost of $21,250) by the Lowe Farm Co-Operator Elevator Association Limited (Pool #154). The top of this elevator was severely damaged on July 20, 1998 by strong winds but was quickly repaired.
There were other Lowe Farm grain elevators:
Several private elevators, starting in 1898
Farmer’s Elevator Company elevator, built in 1905, sold to Western Canada Flour Mills, sold to Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1940, becoming the second Pool elevator in Lowe Farms, burned August 1953
Canadian Consolidated Grain Company elevator, built in 1904, sold to UGG in 1954, sold to MPE in 1976 and demolished on May 7, 1984
There is one grain elevator remaining in Kane, Manitoba. It is a former N.M. Paterson grain elevator.
The first Kane grain elevator was built in 1918 by the Interior Elevator Company, which became part of N.M. Paterson in 1920. This elevator burned down in 1947 and a new one was constructed on the same site in the same year. That elevator is the bare wooden portion of the current elevator.
The second Kane grain elevator was built by the Canadian Consolidated Grain Company in 1919 or 1920, and it was later acquired by UGG. It had two annexes at one point. It was demolished on August 9th, 1996.
The newer portion of the Kane grain elevator was the second-last wooden grain elevator to be built in Manitoba, in 1981.