The town of Starbuck, Manitoba has one grain elevator, a Richardson Pioneer concrete structure. The Starbuck grain elevator has a capacity of 18,170 tonnes.
Starbuck used to have a pair of elevators farther west but they were demolished, presumably in the 1980s. There was a wooden elevator in the location that the Pioneer elevator is in now, presumably an older Pioneer.
Starbuck is located on the CP Glenboro subdivision.
The town of Starbuck has a population of about 350 people, and hosts a variety of services including a recreation complex and a nearby golf course.
Other Pioneer grain elevators
Viterra announced they will be building a new Ste. Agathe grain elevator. The elevator will be near their existing canola crush plant in Ste. Agathe, Manitoba and will have a capacity of about 30,000 tonnes and be able to load up to 124 rail cars. The elevator will be on the CN Letellier subdivision so it can be served by CN or BNSF.
This facility will join their 13 existing elevators and specialty facilities in Manitoba.
Ste. Agathe used to have a Manitoba Pool/Agricore grain elevator, a large structure with two annexes. It was demolished in June 2010.
The elevator is scheduled to open in 2016.
A visit to the elevator on August 13, 2016 showed that it is nearly complete. The loop track attached to the CN line is in place and ballasted.
The Coulter grain elevator and annex is the sole remaining elevator in Coulter, Manitoba.
Coulter was on the CP Lyleton subdivision until a bridge over the Souris River was washed out in 1976, severing the rail line between Dalny and Coulter.
This elevator closed in 1971 and is now privately owned. It was Pool elevator #99.
The Coulter grain elevator is labeled McKinney Farms.
There are about a dozen houses in Coulter, which is just off provincial road 251 and about 10 km north of the Canada-US border.
- Post including Coulter on Confessions of a Train Geek
The CN Wakopa subdivision used to run through Lena, until it was abandoned in 1961.
The Lena grain elevator is now privately owned. It may be owned by the Mayfair (Hutterite) Colony Farms.
In 1962 there was also a Paterson elevator in Lena, as shown in this photo from the Provincial Archives of Manitoba. The Lena train station is visible opposite the grain elevators. Note the track that was removed after the Wakopa subdivision was abandoned in 1961.
The Lena school was established in 1906, and after becoming a consolidated school, closed in 1970. Lena is about 9 km north of the Canada-US border.
The Deloraine grain elevator outside Deloraine, Manitoba is owned by Nestibo Agra Inc., who process sunflowers and other plants. This elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator and has a capacity of 2000 tonnes.
Deloraine used to have a UGG elevator in town but it was demolished in May 2010.
This page has moved to grainelevators.ca.
The town of Ninga hosts a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator. The Ninga grain elevator is still connected to the rail line (the CP Napinka subdivision) but the siding does not appear to be in use.
Ninga hosted four grain elevators at one point. The Manitoba Elevator Commission purchased the four, and ended up selling two to UGG and scrapping two. This article describes that and has a photo from 1955 showing UGG, Manitoba Pool and Lake of the Woods elevators.
Older Ninga Photos
These two photos date from around 1908 and show the early Ninga grain elevators as well as the train station.
There Will Always Be a Ninga
The town of Ninga is small but its pride and humour shows through.
The Goodlands grain elevator was a Manitoba Pool elevator. It is currently privately owned.
The elevator is one of the few that still have the loading arrow.
Normally the rail siding for grain elevators would have a slight slope so the loaded cars could be rolled away from the elevator to make room for the next car to be loaded. The arrow indicated the direction that loaded cars would roll. The number is a “spot number” for rail crews to know where to put cars.
Goodlands was located on the CP Lyleton subdivision. It received rail service until the line was abandoned in 1996.