There are two grain elevators in the ghost town of Purves, Manitoba. They are privately owned and appear to still be in use in 2014 by Reimer Farms. Purves used to be served by Canadian Pacific Railway via the CP Snowflake subdivision, but that was abandoned in the late 1970s.
The larger Purves grain elevator was built by Manitoba Pool Elevators in the 1920s and was sold to David Reimer in 1980. The original office and driveway have been replaced. At one time it had a World War 2-vintage balloon annex but this has apparently been replaced by steel bins.
The original owner of the smaller Purves grain elevator is unknown.
There is a lovely old church nearby, apparently out of “service” since the early 1960s.
A few miles out of Purves is this farm elevator, in a field. There are rumours that this is one of the oldest elevators in Canada.
The tiny community of Kaleida, Manitoba has one grain elevator, the former Manitoba Pool “B” elevator.
The Kaleida Farmers Elevator Association was formed in 1905 and George Ullyot built the Kaleida grain elevator. In 1907 it was purchased by Ogilvie Flour Mills.
It became the Manitoba Pool “B” elevator at some point. The elevator shipped its last load of grain on August 1,1963.
The Kaleida grain elevator was served by the CP Kaleida subdivision. The track reached Kaleida in 1904. The track was removed in October 1963.
There was a second Kaleida grain elevator, built in 1908 or 1909. It was sold to the Manitoba Pool in 1926 and apparently torn down and replaced by a new elevator in 1927. This elevator was moved to Manitou on November 18, 1965 and it is still in operation.
Many thanks to the book Kaleidoscope 1878-1986: Kaleida, Overdale, Riverdale and Pembina Crossing, Manitoba, published by the Kaleida Historical Book Society, where most of the facts for this article came from.
There is one grain elevator in La Salle, Manitoba, owned by Paterson Grain. The elevator is located on the CP La Riviere subdivision. It was listed in CP’s Canadian Grain Elevator and Terminal Directory as having a capacity of 4,150 metric tonnes.
The following elevators were built in La Salle*:
A private elevator, built by Moise Cormier in 1902 or 1904, sold to N.M. Paterson in 1915
Imperial Elevator, burned in 1908
Ogilvie Flour Mills Elevator, moved to Dominion City in 1911
N.M. Paterson elevator, built in 1938, expanded in 1940, 1955, 1964 and 1983. The 1983 expansion included adding two steel bins and a dust collection system.
* from “Then to Now – The History of La Salle, Manitoba”.
There is a lovely woodcut by Walter Joseph Phillips depicting one of La Salle’s grain elevators.
Niverville has a special place in the history of Canadian grain elevators. The very first grain elevator in western Canada was built in 1879 here. The elevator was built by William Hespeler and was a round structure. You can see it in this photo circa 1911 showing the round elevator, the Ogilvie elevator and a flat grain warehouse.
This modern elevator was acquired by Richardson on May 1, 2013 and in June 2013 it was announced that it would receive “high speed blenders, fertilizer storage and a 6,000- square-foot chemical and seed warehouse to become full-service crop input centres”. Here are before and after photos to show the changes.