The Sperling grain elevator was a former Manitoba Pool elevator, built in 1926 and until recently operated by Delmar Commodities. It was last used in the fall of 2013. The elevator was on the CEMR Carman subdivision between Carman and Winnipeg, Manitoba.
According to the Sperling town web site and a UGG history document, the elevators that operated in Sperling were:
Canadian Elevator Company
Manitoba Pool, 1926
Canadian Consolidated – purchased by UGG in 1959, burned 1995
The grain elevator in Sperling was demolished in late March 2015 (news article).
The town of Sperling has never exceeded 200 people, and today it is primarily a residential town, with a few industries such as Sperling Industries and an auto body shop.
The first grain elevator in Homewood was built by the Dominion Elevator Company in 1901. The second was built in 1902 by a local group of farmers, the Homewood Farmers’ Elevator Company. Both elevators were purchased by the Manitoba government in 1910 and leased to the Grain Growers’ Grain Company (future UGG) in July 1912. Both ended up belonging to the UGG, which sold them to Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1974.
The Brookdale grain elevator is located between Carberry and Neepawa. The elevator was on the former CP Varcoe subdivision.
Earlier in the 20th century, Brookdale had three grain elevators: one owned by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company, one by the Grain Growers Grain Company (a precursor of the UGG), and one by the Manitoba Pool. The Lake of the Woods elevator was torn down in 1947-1948. The UGG elevator was built in 1902 by the Carberry Elevator Company and came down quite recently.
The current elevator, formerly owned by the Manitoba Pool, was built in 1929.
The elevator is now owned by J.R. Jones Farms Ltd.
The elevator is unusual in that it has an attached warehouse rather than an annex.
The Oberon grain elevator is located along highway 353, just off highway 5 south of Neepawa.
This elevator, a former Manitoba Pool elevator, was located on the CP Varcoe subdivision. The original elevator was built around 1903 by the Ogilvie Milling Company. In 1959 the Manitoba Pool rebuilt the elevator.
The Canadian Pacific Railway line was abandoned in August 1978. The elevator was acquired by a local farm and continues to be used for grain storage.
One of the two sheds beside the elevator appears to be the original 1903 office.
Hopefully this beautiful elevator will remain for years to come.
This elevator was a Manitoba Pool elevator with a capacity of 4,000 tonnes of grain in the elevator and attached annex. It became privately owned sometime during or before 2008. It has no rail service as the siding has been removed for some time.
It appears to still be in use for storage.
Katrime’s rail passenger station is now on display at the Manitoba Agricultural Museum. It is a small structure, built in 1919 by the Canadian Northern Pacific railway.