The Lyleton grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator with attached annex. The elevator has seen better days, with the cupola having a bit of a lean to it. The annex appears to be from a different elevator, or at least it has received a metal cladding whereas the original elevator has not.
At one time there was a Paterson grain elevator (built in 1926) next to this one, but it was demolished around 2008.
Lyleton was at the end of the CP Lyleton subdivision, and had rail service from 1903 until the rails were removed in the late 1970s.
The Marquette grain elevator was a wooden grain elevator on the Canadian Pacific Railway main line (CP Carberry subdivision). The elevator was owned by N.M. Paterson and was demolished in September 2013.
The elevator consisted of a central wooden elevator (with driveway) and two large steel bins. It only had a capacity of 1,970 tonnes, quite small for modern elevators. It was built in 1920. There was a second elevator, built in 1941 and sold in 1974.
Its small size no doubt contributed to the decision to demolish the elevator.
The Justice grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator that is now privately owned. The elevator stands next to the CN main line through Manitoba (the CN Rivers subdivision) but has no rail service.
The elevator has a capacity of 3,250 tonnes and consists of a central elevator and a large annex. There is also a separate building that was used to store fertilizer, very common for country elevators.
The town of Justice itself is essentially a collection of houses now. There is an old schoolhouse in the town that has been abandoned.
The Elkhorn grain elevator is located on the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline. This elevator consists of a central elevator with an integrated annex on one side, and has a capacity of 3,190 tonnes. Construction on this elevator began in June 1965.
Elkhorn is a small community near the Manitoba-Saskatchewan border. The trans-continental Canadian Pacific Railway tracks reached Elkhorn sometime between mid-April and late June 1882 on their march west toward British Columbia. Today this section of track is part of the CP Broadview subdivision.
This elevator is a former Manitoba Pool grain elevator and was the “B” elevator.
Elkhorn’s railway station was built in 1904 to a fairly typical CPR design.
It was sold on January 18, 1972 and later demolished. (Photo by G.A. Moore, from Canadian Rail #285)
Elkhorn’s Manitoba Pool “C” elevator was a former Lake of the Woods elevator, built in 1892, taken over by the Manitoba Pool. This elevator no longer exists.
The Pool “A” elevator may have been one of these:
the former Ogilvie elevator, built in 1914 to replace their flat warehouse built in 1886; or
the former Continental elevator, built in 1925 and taken over by the Manitoba Pool Elevator Association in 1928.
The Cameron grain elevator is a former Lake of the Woods elevator that became privately owned. It appears to be abandoned now.
This elevator was built sometime between 1902 and 1910 by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company. It shows that company’s name on one side and Five Roses Flour on another. The Five Roses brand was a Lake of the Woods brand, carried on by Ogilvie Milling when the companies merged in 1954. Today the Five Roses brand endures and is owned by Smuckers.
The elevator sits alone in the middle of fields, with a relatively new shale oil well nearby as its only company.
The elevator was bought by Manitoba Pool in 1959 and was closed in the late 1960s with the decline of the CPR Lyleton subdivision.
The elevator has an extended driveway (with no doors), a small office adjacent to the elevator, and no annexes or storage bins.
The condition of the elevator suggests it is no longer in use.
The Hartney grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator, built in the late 1970s. This elevator had a listed capacity of 3,320 tonnes when it was last listed in the Canadian Grain Commission listings in 2001.
The traditional wooden elevator has a relatively modern annex attached, as well as two steel bins.
There are two Pierson grain elevators. One was built by N.M. Paterson and the other was built by the Manitoba Pool Elevators. Both are now owned by Paterson and operated as a unit. Currently they are listed with a capacity of 8,025 tonnes.
The area around Pierson has a wide variety of birds for the avian enthusiast, including hawks, pheasants, grouse, and much more.
Paterson Grain Elevator
This elevator was built in 1965 to replace a former Consolidated (originally Dominion) elevator that was dismantled.
Former Pool Grain Elevator
The ex Manitoba Pool grain elevator was built in 1927 or 1928 and burned in 1939. It was rebuilt on the same location. Renovations were done in the 1970s to replace one annex, add another annex, renovate the office and add a new loading leg.
Pierson Grain Elevator History
By 1897 the town of Pierson had at least three grain elevators, as shown in the photo to the right.
The original Ogilvie elevator burnt in 1894 and was rebuilt. In 1900 there were four elevators: Gould and Elliott, Northern, Dominion and Ogilvie.
Many thanks to the Harvests of Time local history for the grain elevator history.
The Elgin grain elevator is a former Manitoba Pool elevator. It has a capacity of 5,150 tonnes and is privately owned by Dodds Farm, Ltd. This was the “B” elevator in Elgin.
Elgin was on the CN Hartney subdivision. By 1979 this was the end of the operated track, and in 1999 the track was sold to the Southern Manitoba Railway. That shortline operated it for several years until its abandonment and removal in 2006 or 2007.
Until recently there were two Minto grain elevators. The town featured a Paterson grain elevator and an ex Manitoba Pool grain elevator. However, high winds in July 2014 severely damaged one of the elevators.
The other elevator remained in operation for a while but on February 15, 2015 the ex Manitoba Pool elevator was demolished, followed quickly by the other elevator and the annexes (Matt Tolton photo).
The damaged elevator had a capacity of 4,840 tonnes.
Minto was served by the CN Hartney subdivision until its abandonment around 2007. The town of Minto was originally also served by the Great Northern Railway from 1906 to 1937.